The event is part of the RCU’s America Recycles Day Exhibition which will include displays from all areas of Utah on how to recycle in unique areas. Everything you need to know about the process of recycling materials, demonstrations, and recycling ideas will be shown at the event.
The main event will be the pulp and paper merit badge workshop where Boy Scouts and others that are interested are invited to accomplish of the majority of the course requirement for the Pulp and Paper Merit Badge. Scouts that want to participate must complete the required pre-course booklet before the event. At the Event, they will provide instruction on how to make pulp and paper – and tours thru the exhibits covering what is needed for the Recycling Tour section of the badge. For those interested in just making pulp and paper, you are welcome to participate in these hands on activities.
Scouts wanting to complete the merit badge will need to complete the following requirements:
The course requirement booklet can be downloaded by the following link: http://www.meritbadge.org/wiki/images/3/32/Pulp_and_Paper.pdf.
- History of Papermaking.
- Pulp and Paper Industry.
- Trees – Major sources of papermaking fibers.
- Describe how paper is made- Will make a sheet of paper at the Event.
- Explain what coated paper is and why it is coated.
- Make a list of 15 pulp or paper products found in the home. Bring 10 samples with you to the Event. Pictures acceptable.
- Visit a recycled paper collection or sorting facility: This will be at the Event.
- Find out about 3 career opportunities in the paper-making industry.
America Recycles Day is a national initiative to keep America beautiful through events across the nation to promote recycling in all communities.
Melany Gardner | Editor, The Boy Scout, Utah National Parks Council, BSA