“The Scout in his promise undertakes to do his duty to his king and country only in the second place. His first duty is to God. There is a higher mission before us, namely the promotion of the kingdom of God. That is the rule of peace and goodwill on earth.” – Lord Baden-Powell
A focus on Duty to God is core in all camping programs within the Utah National Parks Council. This year’s Duty to God award will support 2019’s celebration of Scouting between The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Boy Scouts of America. The award will be a token to remember the strong friendship both parties have and will have.
This year’s award is the “Duty to God Buffalo Award” and is a necklace with a realistic, western-style buffalo skull and a swiveling medallion in the center that shows the Duty to God shield on one side and Matthew 5:16 on the reverse. This collectible item is one-of-a-kind and a good reminder of Scouting’s focus on Duty to God.
The requirements are focused to help the individual better understand and implement their duty to God. Groups can adjust the requirements to meet their desired outcomes and objectives. Here are the suggested requirements:
- Read Matthew 5:16 and summarize what it means to let your light shine. How does letting your light shine glorify God? Share with your group or leader.
- How can “men see your good works”? Write a plan and set goals to serve those around you and your community. Perform a service project of at least one hour.
- The Holy Spirit is here to guide you. What are ways you can reduce the worldly noise around you to clearly hear its promptings?
- A Scout promises their first duty to God. Discuss with your group or leader how you can fulfill this promise by putting God first in your daily routines such as daily prayer and scripture study, participating in church duties (if any), etc.
- God loves us and wants us to gain as much knowledge as possible. Make a list of these opportunities you’re given and share with your group or leader.
The award will be available at all council camps for the price of $5. For those who would like to work on this award outside of a council camp, the awards may be purchased at the Orem Scout Office for $7 or in our online store.
We encourage all Scouting units and youth groups to incorporate the Buffalo Award and associated activities during your time at camp.
Earn your award today!