In partnership with the Sea Scouts sponsored by the Utah Lake Yacht Club, we are excited to offer a Sailing Merit Badge Adventure at Camp Jeremiah Johnson. Units will begin their learning experience Friday evening with a real sailboat, preparing for their sailing experience on Saturday. Click here to see last year’s Sailing Merit Badge Adventures.
To register click here or continue reading for more details.
Camp Jeremiah Johnson, (Click here for downloadable map) and the following locations:
Because the boys will need to travel to the the lake on Saturday morning, we highly recommend that the entire unit signs up for this adventure. The leaders will need to provide transportation on Saturday.
What is the cost?
The cost of this badge includes access to the boats, any needed supplies for sailing, etc.
- $20.00 per troop camping fee
- $10.00 per youth working on the merit badge
- No charge for adults
What to bring?
- Anything you need to stay warm and camp overnight. All food and cooking equipment will be provided.
- Please be advised that part of earning the sailing merit badge is participation in capsize drills. The water will be cold! Please bring a change of clothes and towels.
- Troops will need to prepare their own dinner and breakfast as part of their camping experience. It is also recommended that they bring a lunch to eat while working on the water activities. Meals are not provided at the camp.
What dates will the Sailing Merit Badge Adventures be held in 2017?
(Click on the dates to register)
What other information to know?
- Only 20 spots are available per adventure, so register now before it fills.
- Scouts will continue to work on non-water related requirements at camp on Friday night and Saturday morning. At noon, they will begin their sailing activities.
- Troops can now combine their monthly campout with merit badge work with no extra work for the adult leaders, and great opportunities for the youth.
- The camp general store will be open should you need snacks or basic camping supplies. Please bring a filled out merit badge blue card for each scout, or you may purchase them in the camp general store.
- Contact Ann Shumway at email@example.com or call 801-437-6218.
Author: Ann Shumway | Day Camping, STEM and Learning for Life Director, Utah National Parks Council