This is an exciting recognition as Scouting celebrates 100 years of Scouting in the LDS Church.
The Boy Scouts was founded in 1910, three years after Sir Robert Baden-Powell started the Scout movement in England. Since its foundation, Scouting has enjoyed a strong relationship with the LDS Church through the Young Men’s program. In 1913, The Boy Scouts of America issued its first charter to the Church making it the first organization to officially affiliate with the Boy Scouts.
Now Scouters can earn an award that celebrates this partnership. Currently, the award can only be earned at camp.
Here are the requirements:
1. Read the History of Scouting in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) which is included in this booklet (booklets available at camp). Discuss with your leader five significant dates in the history of the Church and Scouting.
2. Talk with your leader about how your experiences at Scout camp will help you prepare to serve a full-time mission.
(Note: If you are not a Latter-day Saint, you may skip this requirement and complete four electives instead of three)
Electives: (complete at least three)
1. Meet four Scouts from different unites and exchange contact information (email addresses, postal addresses, and/or phone numbers).
2. Share two Articles of Faith and your testimony with your troop, a friend of another faith, or your unit leader. If non-LDS share your belief in God and a favorite prayer or leader in your faith with your troop, a friend of another faith, or your unit leader.
3. Write a paragraph about your goals as a Scout in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or your faith. Share with your unit leader.
4. Explain to your unit leader or parent what “Duty to God” means to you.
Once a Scout has completed the requirement, he signs the form and also has his Unit Leader sign signifying he has completed all requirements. The Scout can then take the completed form to the camp trading post to purchase the commemoration. Cost is minimal – $2.50.
Adult leaders can also earn the award by following the same requirements.