Each year of the five year plan, officers of the Council determine five new areas of focus annually for the Journey to Excellence. For 2017 these include:
- Fundraising (JTE 2): Increase council-generated net contributions in the Operating Fund over prior years. Going for Gold with 10% growth over prior three year average.
- Membership/youth growth (JTE 5): Increase number of registered youth (Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts/ Varsity Scouts, Venturers, Sea Scouts, pilot program members, and Explorers.), Going for Gold with 3% growth over prior year.
- Fiscal management (JTE 1): Maintain positive unrestricted net assets in the Operating Fund to support annual operating expenses. Going for Gold with .25 ratio, or .08 and increase 2% (surplus plus or minus transfers) over expenses.
- Boy Scout camping (JTE 11): Increase the percentage of Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts attending long-term camp and high-adventure program. Going for Gold with 67% and 2 percentage points increase.
- Unit leadership (JTE 18): Increase the number of direct contact leaders who are trained. Going for Bronze with 2 percentage points increase.