To begin using online applications, every unit and ward must get take a few steps to get set up with the new system. If you are currently registered as the COR, committee chair, or unit leader, you have the ability to get these first steps complete.
Download simple or detailed instructions or see below for help with this process. Go to utahscouts.org/apply-for-scouting-membership-online/ for additional information.
1. Unit Leader Preparation
Updating your my.scouting.org profile is an essential step to ensuring that you receive the notifications from the Invitation Manager or Application Manager showing what actions you have to take to help new youth and adults join your unit.
*Note on step 6: If you find that you are unable to see the following steps to the online registration system, it may be because you either are not registered in the correct position, or you have a duplicate my.scouting account. To fix this issue, you can get the correct ID number from your internet advancement person in your unit, or call into the Council Service Center at 801-437-6222.
2. Unit Contact Information
Now, we need to update all the contact information for the unit. In an LDS ward this means you will need to follow these instructions four times for each age group (Pack/Primary, Troop/Deacons, Team/Varsity, Crew/Venturing). This is why it is best for the COR to be the one taking the lead on getting online registration set up, because he is likely the only person in the ward who is registered under all four programs.
Doing this part of the process will have your unit listed on the BeAScout.org, an online service that helps families find Scouting units near them to join (not unlike the meeting house locator on LDS.org). To prepare for this, you will verify that your BeAScout pin is turned on and that the contact information is current and displays the information you want for you unit.
Note: Make sure the “Unit Pin Mode” is listed as “Unit” not “Council.”
If everyone in your unit is currently registered in the correct positions, this will be a simple process of choosing the drop down menu with the right name.
3. Invitation Manager
This tool is the one you will use over and over again as new applications come in for youth and leaders registering with the BSA in your ward. You can can add membership leads and manage inquiries from prospective Scouts.
Here are the instructions to get the link you will send to new leaders and youth who need to register:
How It Works
Once the above steps are complete for a unit, the online registration process will work as described below for all volunteers and youth in that unit.
There are two ways for applications to be initiated:
- Through an invitation email sent the COR, committee chair, or the unit leader
- Through the www.BeAScout.org website
Invitation Email (recommended)
When a new youth or leader is joining your Scouting unit (pack/troop/team/crew), follow these steps to use the online registration.
- Send an email to the new adult volunteer or the youth’s parents and include
- An nice invitation to apply for membership
- The unit-specific registration link
- The applicant will click on the link in the email taking them to a secure website that will step them through the online registration process
- Once the applicant has completed the online registration process, the COR (for adults) or Scouting leader/Committee Chair (for youth) will receive an email informing them of the new application
- The COR/Committee Chair/Scouting leader approves the application by following the instructions in the email
Parents of youth, as well as new leaders, can also apply directly through the www.BeAScout.org website. In order for this to work, the unit must have completed the checklist described above.
- Go to the BeAScout.org website
- Enter your zip code in order to find your unit
- Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button which will take you to a secure website that will step you through the online registration process
- Once complete, the unit leadership will receive an email informing them of the new application
- The unit leadership approves the application by following the instructions in the email
Congratulations – you have a new youth or adult officially registered in your unit!
You have any questions, please call us at the Council Service Center at 801-437-6222.
Author: Melany Gardner | “The Boy Scout” Editor and Marketing Specialist, Utah National Parks Council