Christmas is a time to remember the birth of the Savior and renew our appreciation for the great gift of His perfect life and atoning sacrifice. In the scripture accounts of His birth, we find patterns of discipleship—from Samuel the Lamanite, who courageously prophesied of His coming, to the Nephites who looked steadfastly for the sign of His birth, to the shepherds who shared the message that the Son of God had been born, to the wise men who discerned the fulfillment of prophecy and traveled a great distance to see the King of the Jews. Like faithful Saints of old, we feel the desire to share with others our testimony of Jesus Christ and the “good tidings of great joy” that we have found in His restored gospel (Luke 2:10).
Here’s some practical advice to help you find your ideal Christmas. Simplify the season and you may find that for every minute you spend here, you’ll get 10 minutes back to enjoy this holiday more fully.
Top 15 Ideas for Christmas
- Give someone an eCard this Christmas.
- Replace some holiday decorations in your home with reminders of Christ.
- Play more Christmas music. Find Christmas music here, the Tabernacle Choir YouTube page and on the Mormon Channel.
- Donate gently used items to a thrift store.
- Go Christmas caroling.
- Avoid “mad rush” shopping times.
- Say thank you as often as possible.
- Schedule a night to help another person or family.
- Call someone you normally wouldn’t to wish him or her a Merry Christmas.
- Delegate some holiday preparations to children or other family members.
- Simplify a traditional activity.
- Find quiet time to pray.
- Write down great memories as they happen.
- Set and stick to a holiday budget.
- Forgive a grudge.
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints | Come Follow Me, December